The Unleashing by Shelly Laurenston

The Unleashing - Shelly Laurenston

While reading I constantly reminded myself that it's the first book of the series. So, I didn't have to know everything about the world yet. At the same time it was quite confusing because Kera was thrown into the unknown - Vikings, gods, demons, witches - I'm quite sure I forgot someone. Oh, who cares!

I liked Kera - she could kick some major ass, but still be vulnerable and doubt herself. It was good to read about the heroine, who battled her own demons but still tried to take the best from the bad situation. And believe me, Bird House wasn't the nicest place to hang around.

There was so much hostility toward Kera. Crows were real bitches and every time they called Kera "new girl" I got angrier. She just died, which was quite a dramatic experience, and then she was attacked by some jerks wearing huge hammers. Did the Crows apologize for leaving unconscious Kera alone in the house? No, of course not, they bitched about the broken glass door. These winged freaks wanted her to decide everything right away - where to live, what to do with her second chance and so on. They also thought that having an ex-marine among Crows was something horrible. And at the same time they had bank robbers and psychopaths as members. Hypocrites. And when Kera tried to use her coping mechanism, they went nuts and behaved like immature teenagers. Crows were cruel, heedless, and sometimes plain stupid.

Vig was the hero in this book, but unfortunately I couldn't see him as Kera's love interest. So, the sexy times were really awkward to my eyes. Vig was the person who asked the goddess to give Kera a second chance, but he didn't have enough courage to clean up and ask the woman out before she died. That's what made it so unbelievable. He had time - weeks, if not months, and he didn't make his move. And then suddenly he is a love interest. Come on!

Overall I'm a bit disappointed because I expected more. It wasn't as funny as Shelly Laurenston's Pride series. Okay, there were some scenes I laughed out loud. I'm definitely going to read the second book because as much as I can say the world has a lot of potential, some Crows were quite unusual, and the end really piqued my interest.